PREMIER CULINARY COLLEGE
Leader Of A
In College ROI Among
What Is The CIA ?
Since its foundation in 1946, the Culinary Institute of America has set the bar for excellence in professional culinary education. We offer master’s, bachelor’s, and associate degrees, as well as certificate programmes and courses for professionals and amateurs, from our campuses in New York, California, and Texas, as well as one in Singapore.
Since its inception in 1946, The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) has always been leading the front as the world’s most premium culinary college. Recognised and praised by the pioneers of the culinary industry, the CIA has garnered a lot of attention and respect over the years. With a pool of over 50,000 accomplished alums over 7 decades, the CIA has established a legacy which started from the vision of 2 extraordinary women.
- On May 22, 1946, the New Haven Restaurant Institute opened its doors in downtown New Haven, CT as the first and only school of its kind in the United States.
- Created to train returning World War II veterans in the culinary arts, the Institute enrolled 50 students and employed a faculty consisting of a chef, a baker, and a dietitian.
- It started when Frances Roth, a Connecticut based attorney along with Katherine Angel came together to turn their passion into a reality.
- In its early years it had a continual growth along with multiple accomplishments.
- From having 600 veterans from 38 institutes to going through name changes.
- From doubling their session to accomodate more than 1000 students to going through changes in curricula and training, a new era began with the change of location in 1970.
New Home for More Education
- After an exhaustive search in which sites as far as Chicago, Atlanta, and Columbia, MD are considered, the CIA purchased the St. Andrew-on-Hudson Jesuit novitiate in Hyde Park, NY for its new campus.
- This new campus went through multiple changes to ensure it was as advanced as possible at the time.
Taking the Lead
- With new leadership, facility expansion, and curriculum innovation, the CIA is at the forefront of preparing students to succeed in one of the hottest industries on the planet.
Innovation And Inspiration
- New bachelor’s degree programs and a West Coast presence at Greystone California’s Napa Valley, highlight one of the most significant periods in the college’s history.
Leader Of Culinary Education
- From opening another college in San Antonio Texas to establishing the most recognised programs and courses under the best management and faculty, the college has since established itself as the leader of premium culinary education in the world recognised by many.
- Having major global impact with likes of Vikas Khanna being a part of the extensive network, the college has truly built a legacy which is still brewing with innovation.
- The vision remains the same as this institute takes major leaps of innovation and growth to establish culinary education across the globe.
“What I think makes the CIA great is there’s no other place like it in the world. The quality of students coming out of the CIA really kind of sets the standard in the industry.”
Charlie Palmer ’79, chef, restaurateur, hotelier
The CIA Difference: We believe in the power of food to change lives and, yes, the world.
We’re not distracted by a host of unrelated degrees and majors, we can pour all our energy, passion, and industry smarts into providing you with the best food-focused education.
And that’s exactly what we do—it’s the difference you’ll find only at CIA.
9 student-run restaurants
Your own business venture for 1 semester
Access to the best global culinary career fair
World’s most powerful alumni network with 50,000+ members
2,000+ paid internships with world-class organizations
TOP RANKED CAMPUSES
Partnerships and Collaborations
The CIA has various partnerships and plans in collaboration with the most recognized and esteemed organizations.